We thought it important to choose a cause close to the hearts of us and our clients. That’s why we chose to support a charity dedicated to the support of those within the construction industry.
The Lighthouse Club provides emotional, physical, and financial wellbeing support to those in the industry. They rely solely on the generosity of those who donate, as opposed to government funding. That’s why it is so important for people like us to donate to this vital cause.
They have been bringing support to those within the construction community since 1956. They have a 24-hour helpline: both a number to call as well as a construction industry helpline app. This app is good for those who may feel uncomfortable speaking over the phone. Or, would just like to become more informed to try and help themselves before taking that next step to seek professional help.
What else do they do?
- They provide emergency financial aid to construction families in crisis.
- Occupational health and mental wellbeing advice.
- Support on debt management matters.
- Provide construction oriented mental health training programmes.
There are several reasons as to why the Lighthouse Club is close to many people’s hearts, including ours. Therefore, we have included some facts below which highlight this:
- Every year there are over 2000 major accidents that incapacitate the worker in such a way that they cannot therefore return to work.
- Over 46% of all cancer cases in the UK are directly related to working in construction.
- Stress, depression, and anxiety accounts for a fifth of all work-related illnesses.
- Every single working day in the UK two construction workers take their own life.
- Every year, over 2.4 million working days are lost through illness or injury in the construction industry.
- There are over 82,000 new cases of work-related illnesses every year that can be directly linked to working within construction.
So, to find out more about the charity, please feel free to visit the lighthouse club website to see how you can get involved to help those in the construction industry. Alternatively, visit our page dedicated to our support of the charity.